Thinking of all of you-

Hello All You Hum 9er’s!

The last official day of classes has come and gone and I already feel a void in my heart. I have had a great year teaching you and more importantly- learning from all of you. You all have taught me so much about yourselves as learners and what I can do as an educator, to better assist you in your learning journey.

We have learned a lot about specific information in social studies, and how to write and read better in English, yet for me, this year was also about understanding and honouring who we all are as learners and how to advocate for ourselves. In reflection, I know that each of you have come far in both your personal and educational journey and I thank each one of you for allowing me to come along with you.

When you return next year, please do come find me and say hello, as I will miss you and how lovely it will be to hear from you.

I wish you all a summer filled with joy, happiness and most of all FUN!. Hopefully you'll pick up a something to read along the way and when you do, I hope you will stop and think of all the reading strategies you have learned and put them to use. I also hope that you continue to advocate for yourself and most importantly- Believe in yourself; I know I believe in each and every one of you. You are all capable of greatness. Be the change you want to see in the world (Mahatma Gandhi).

My best to you-
Most sincerely,
Ms. Minuk

PS: Keep Humming Along,

eminuk@sd38.bc.ca



Monday, February 16, 2009

Was Napoleon a hero?

In your mind, was Napoleon a hero? Explain your thinking using evidence.

46 comments:

  1. He had a mind of a genius but did not use it properly :3
    So I'll have to say I don't know ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Napoleon was selfish , which make`s him a non- hero . He was , greedy , & in the end only thought of himself instead of his country .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not think Napoleon was a hero because he did terrible things although he did heroic things for his country and his army. But the way he treated the empire and other countries were disappointing not to mention that he was greedy for power

    ReplyDelete
  4. He had a mind of a genius but did not use it properly, so I would have to say no :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Napoleon was not a hero because he killed lots of people just to control them or steal their valuables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Nap. is not a hero because all he did was do something good to cover his evil act!!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. no he wasn't because he left his soldiers alone when they were in war

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that Napoleon is not a hero because, he abandoned his soldiers while in war.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Napoleon was not a hero because he made himself a leader in the french revolution. Then with all the power he gained he used it to brain wash the people so it was like the people of France had to respect him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Napoleon was not a hero because he steals shipments, abandon his soldiers, and he is scam.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I personally don't think Napoleon was a hero because of his greedy need for power and war. His ability to put relatives as rulers is also unfair. How he wanted complete power of transport over sea's. He's a real jerk...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think that napoleon is not a hero because he stole jewellery and other valuables from spain instead of giving them freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Napoleon is NOT a hero because he broke his promise to spain about giving them freedom, and instead stole their valuables such as jewellery, and paintings that he then used for his own museum in France. That's a big No-No!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think, Napoleon was not a hero. Because of the things he had done. I mean, leaving his soldiers to die, crowning HIMSELF emperor, and promising countries freedom and taking away their goods? What kind of leader is this? Everyone makes mistakes, but not learning from ir us even worse, Therefore, I do not think he's an emperor ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm 80% sure that Napoleon wasn't a hero. The main reason for this opinion is that in the textbook, he practically confessed that he wanted to "take over the world". He didn't say those exact words, but that was basically the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Napoleon was a hero because he changed france and created the Napoleonic Code, which is still used in some countries today. He helped expand the French Empire but used tyrant ways, such as abandoning his army and breaking promises that he made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Napoleon at his time was not a hero, but his impacts during the French Revolution lead up to greatness in the future. He created the Napoleonic code, which we still use to this day. He was a tyrant but a good leader. He had good tactics to destroy his enemies countries. Even though what he did, may have destroyed lives and the economy, but if you want to be great, you have to overcome consequences. You can't just achieve greatness without having something bad happen. His actions impacted France in a positive way. I believe Napoleon was a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Napoleon was a non hero because he killed people for no reason

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm still not sure wether to call Napoleon a Hero or a Non-Hero. Although Napoleon created various new schools / universities / hospitals, and created, improved the French society, and improved the infrastructure ( in other words, he pretty much improved French society ) he also became ambitious, resulting in the backfire of many of his plans, not to mention he became a liar and eve tried to take over the world (ego much?)... however... the whole "taking over the world" thing obviously didn't go as planned for him (Epic Fail).
    It is because of this 50/50 situation, that i am not able to determine the answer to this question .

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think Napoleon was a hero because he changed France for the better after King Louis XVI's reign. He made up the Napoleonic code which we still follow today in some countries. Though he didn't keep his promise to the italians and abandoned his army at the hardest times, the positive things he did still outweighs the negative things he did to affect the French society. Of course power corrupts, and Napoleon indeed had a lot of power in his hands that he could not handle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I believe that Napoleon was not a hero. He may have been a great general when his troops were gaining victory. However, once he no longer has any use for his soldiers, he would abandon them. He abandoned his troops in Egypt when his campaign was not going well and he deserted his troops in Russia when they were cold and decimated. And even though he did create the Napoleonic Code it is incredibly biased against women. He only seeks equality among men but does not believe that women are on the same level as men.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Napoleon had saved the corrupt society of France and created laws of equality. Although the French ruler had ill intentions that would benefit himself, he really did swoop France away from their doom. Like when he created the Napoleonic code, it ensured the freedom and equality of all people and abolished the privileged rights of the upper classes and the unfair treatment of the lower classes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think Napoleon was a hero despite his selfish actions like when he left his army at the war with the Russians. Even though did bad at times, the heroic acts of Napoleon had huge impacts during his time. Creating and establishing the Napoleonic Code would be one that definitely made a change. He was also a great general which lead France to expanding their territory.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I believe Napoleon was a hero. Despite his biased beliefs, abandoning his troops, and arrogance, his creation of the Napoleonic Code and new ideas have changed the history. By his actions, he has given advanced opinions to deal with battles, laws, and equality. He was a great general who led France to greater territories.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think he was not a hero, because he made bad decisions with the government laws.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think Napoleon wasn't a hero because even though he did some good things for the French people (built schools, hospitals, fixed roads) he did things that kind of pushed people to like him. the Napoleonic code for example. It was named after him, it gave more human rights to the people, but because it was named after him.. i think he wanted people to think of how he made life easier for them. Also the fact that he censored the news. only letting media show what he wanted them to show about him.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Although i think that Napoleon is a non-hero, but i think the things he did thats non-heroic is just to make his empire stronger, and bigger. Since he is just a human,sometimes he is thinking more of himself the others,like placing the royalty with his own family. But overall i still think he was a non-hero.

    ReplyDelete
  28. yes Napoleon was a hero because he liked to conquer countries.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think Napoleon was a non-hero because he became more of a tyrant than any rulers before the revolution. His ambitions caused him to lose his empire. He also abandoned his army a lot showing cowardice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think Napoleon is not a hero because most of what he is fighting for was for himself. For example he promised Italian's freedom after the war but in the end his army stole expensive items for his own use and to pay for the army's services.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think that Napoleon isn't a hero because, he would leave his army behind in Russia to save himself. Although he put France first, he didn't keep his promise to the Italians, when he promised them freedom. He does have some heroic actions, but most of his actions are non heroic.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I believe that Napoleon was icky, because he didn't support womens rights.I also didn't like the fact that he would intimidate other country's so he can get what he wanted, it was a mean thing to do. THAT IS WHY NAPOLEAN IS ICKY!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think Napoleon is a non-hero because he abandoned his army "Grand Armee", when he was not suppose to. That just shown how a bad leader he was. Also, when he made the civil code; he took away many woman's rights.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think Napoleon is a Hero because he tried many ways of making his own country stronger. Like the Napoleonic code and also building new infrastructure and giving more people in France with jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  35. i think that napoleon was a hero because he did everything with the future of France in mind, and a hero should do things that benefits one's country. plus he strengthened France's economy and got rid of the old feudal system, he also got rid of serfdom and destroyed the inherited privileges of the aristocrats plus he came up with the Napoleonic code that helped people to get educated and have the rights that didn't exists in the middle ages for example people now have the freedom of religion and the right the hold property and the right to vote and the right to equality. the only thing that was wrong about the Napoleonic code was that women lost all the power they had gained in the french revolution, but overall i still think that napoleon was a hero for making France united and stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think I'm stuck between Napoleon being both a Hero and a Non-Hero, only because he built so many schools and buildings, and if he didn't, we wouldn't be in school right now. On the other hand Napoleon did take over all of those countries and did a whole bunch of awful things, such as steal all the goods from Egypt and took over the crown of many other countries. Overall he did do some good things, but he did do some bad things, thats why I think he is both a Non-Hero and Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think Napoleon is a hero because at most times,the things he had accomplished actually affected the future and for us if Napoleon didn't established schools then we wouldn't have an education right now.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think that Napoleon was a hero because he made society a lot better during his time. He helped the French people by creating schools, built new roads and hospitals. A big improvement that he did was when he changed all the laws and replaced them with better laws that would help the French people in multiple ways. This was called the Napoleonic code. It helped people become equal and gave them much freedom. But although it was very good for society it did take many rights away from woman. There were other bad things he did such as stopping trade with Britain which worsened economy more than it already was. But overall it I think Napoleon was a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yeah he was, he conquered a lot of places in europe and he wanted to keep going to rule the world but he failed in the conquering of russia because of the cold weather and they were freezing so i think that was a bad move for the french forces and napoleon.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Overall, I think that Napoleon was a hero because he did many heroic things. For example, he built many schols, hospitals and new roads. He brought nationalism to France which made the citizens of France equal. Even though he did heroic things he did also do non-heroic things like, abandoning the Grand Armee and returning to Paris. Also he took rights away from women and made them seen lower then men. Although he did many non-heroic things I think he was a hero mainly because he built infrasturcture.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I believe that Napoleon is a non-hero, even thought his creation of the Napoleonic code. He had also deserted his own army after their lose in Russia and had taken away the rights of women after claiming to give equality.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Even though Napoleon was a selfish person,he was a hero.This is because he established new universities,schools and he kept the price of the food low.That made the economy stronger. He also created a lot of job opportunities for the people in France. What he did made the economy stronger in a short time. If he did not do what he did France would be different today. Maybe not as strong as now. He did more good things than bad things.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm still not convinced about Napoleon being a hero even though he created a stronger France and empire because the good things that he did ALSO HAS a negative influence to it. For example, the Napoleonic code, he gave the man and citizens equality and freedom, HOWEVER, he took away the woman's rights

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am stuck between Napoleon being a hero and non-hero because he showed horrible leadership skills when he started abandoning his armies on the side of the road. Then again he also led his armies to great victories and built new schools, hospitals, and public places for the citizens of france. HE cared greatly about his people, but didn't really worry about any other citizens. He even decided that the empires of the countries he was trying to conquer weren't good enough, so he over ruled them and placed his brothers and sisters in reign. i cant say either way what i would classify him as. (:

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am having mixed decisions on wether or not Napoleon was a hero or not. Even though he did both positive and negative things to France. One positive action he did was the Napoleonic Code. I thought that was very good for the economy of France. A drawback he did was his selfishness and only thinking for himself. He abandoned his armies multiple times and left them for dead. Another drawback was when he tricked the Spanish people into thinking that he would free them from the Austrians. But he didn't, instead he did fight the Austrians but he also took over their country.

    ReplyDelete