The technical difficulties have been fixed for now... Keep your fingers crossed!
Yesterday and today we had a discussion around the level of connections people are making to Iqbal. Mrs. Watson and I both agree that it is really challenging to make connections to something when: our experiences are so very far removed from the text we are reading (T:S); when what we are reading outside of class in no way relates to what we are reading inside of class (T:T); or when what we are viewing/listening to is not anything like what is going on in the text we are reading in class(T:T). It is for all the reasons above that we are going to change our focus AWAY from connections and work on the strategy of Determining Importance. From now on, you will be holding your thinking of the text while selecting what is most important for each chunk. It may help if you think of something in the text and ask: if the author left this out, would the story still carry the same impact? If the answer is no, this means what you have selected is really important- it must remain a part of the text because... it is the climax; it helps the character go from flat to dynamic; it is critical to the characters development; it is at the very essence or core of the story or it holds the conclusion together. These are some examples of when something is important. If it is NOT important... well nobody really gives a care if remains or is removed!
Hope this helps to clarify things. When at first you don't succeed, try again- I think you may just surprise yourself... I know you will learn something from trying again!
Cheers :D
Thinking of all of you-


Hello All You Hum 9er’s!
The last official day of classes has come and gone and I already feel a void in my heart. I have had a great year teaching you and more importantly- learning from all of you. You all have taught me so much about yourselves as learners and what I can do as an educator, to better assist you in your learning journey.We have learned a lot about specific information in social studies, and how to write and read better in English, yet for me, this year was also about understanding and honouring who we all are as learners and how to advocate for ourselves. In reflection, I know that each of you have come far in both your personal and educational journey and I thank each one of you for allowing me to come along with you.
When you return next year, please do come find me and say hello, as I will miss you and how lovely it will be to hear from you.
I wish you all a summer filled with joy, happiness and most of all FUN!. Hopefully you'll pick up a something to read along the way and when you do, I hope you will stop and think of all the reading strategies you have learned and put them to use. I also hope that you continue to advocate for yourself and most importantly- Believe in yourself; I know I believe in each and every one of you. You are all capable of greatness. Be the change you want to see in the world (Mahatma Gandhi).
My best to you-
Most sincerely,
Ms. Minuk
PS: Keep Humming Along,
eminuk@sd38.bc.ca
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I wasn't sure where to put this but, I wanted to work on the brochure and when I went to Word, it didn't work and I have an older version of the Microsoft Word. I'm not quite sure how to do the brochure now...does anyone else have this problem?? By the Way..I have a PC and not a Mac.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that. Here are a few suggestions:try going into project gallery you may need to look around and find something similar to Business Forms- Brochure; also you can try to do a find on your hard-drive and look for "brochure";if these dont work, try google how to make brochure. Hope this helps. Next time, leave your name so I can contact you directly-
ReplyDeleteme too!
ReplyDeletethe brochues that we did on the school mac computers do not work when we try it at home!!
Secondy, we can't make a brochure on the microsoft word program, because they don't have the thing to let you make the brochue!
Do you think it would be okay if we made it by hand? because i would be unfair for the people who don't have mac computers :(
If you do not have MS WORD, I recommend you use any program that will allow you to create two tables each with three columns (this will equal 6 panels. From here you can cut and paste you work from your saved brochure to your new brochure.
ReplyDeleteHope this works. If not, let me know by emailing me with your name and I will see what I can do.
How would we find the programs to let us create it??
ReplyDeleteYeah!!! I'm having the exact same problems as the others...I tried looking for the online brochures and I couldn't find them online ): I don't think I'll be able to finish the project in time because if I do it at school on Tuesday, I don't think I'll have enough time. Do you think the people who are having these troubles can have extra time to work on it?? I'm getting really stressed out because I don't know if I can finish it on time and I don't want to fail this course!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat will probably depend on the programs you have on your computer. If you have a word processing program like MS WORD or AppleWorks, you will have to look within the pull-down menu for something that says table and cut and paste from there. If all else fails you can create three columns without a table (this will be trickier) and do it that way. With any Word type document, you can alter the margins so at the very least, you can create three separate documents and then cut & paste when you are back at school on Tuesday. If you still run up against trouble, email me directly (eminuk@sd38.bc.ca) and I can try and help you.
ReplyDeleteI just googled "How To Make A Brochure and 1000's of sites came up, here is a few: www.mybrochuremaker.com
ReplyDeletewww.computercompanion.com
www.ehow.com/how-4903550_brochure-using-word.html
I suggest that if you are having a problem, you can try the above suggestions or contact me directly-yes that means you will have to ID yourself. I too am frustrated as no-one has commented using their name, which makes it harder for me and makes this whole process of communicating very impersonal. Enough said.
I was on www.mybrochuremaker.com and I couldn't replace the photos with my own...do you have any idea how to?? I tried cutting and pasting my own pictures but they didn't show up.
ReplyDeleteI am in the process of playing around with www.mybrochuremaker.com yet I too am not having any luck at this time. I have not given up, so stay tuned!
ReplyDeleteHello Hum 9ers,
ReplyDeleteIt is unfortunate that some of you are having difficulty working on your brochure at home. I think it may be most helpful if we can hear from people who are having success. Let us know what type of computer you have and what program you are using. Please leave your name so others may contact you directly.
With thanks,
MM
Has anyone found out how to replace pictures on www.mybrochuemaker.com yet??
ReplyDeleteNo, I haven't figured it out either...I think I might wait until Tuesday when I get to school to work on the brochure. I hope I can get it done in time!! (:
ReplyDeleteI tried several times to get photos to work in mybrochure.com but no such luck. I strongly recommend that you do as much of the work at home as possible: collect your write ups, photos, headers so that you will be all ready to work at school come Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteActually, if you guys are using a PC and you have Microsoft office, you can use Microsoft Publisher and a brochure option will be there. It works well too :D
ReplyDeleteHow do you know if you have Microsoft Office, and where would you find Microsoft Publisher??
ReplyDeleteIf you go to your applications or programs folder, it should give you a list of all the apps/programs that your computer is capable of running- look there for MSO or MSP or MSW. If your home computer does not have a word processing program, I suggest you speak to your family about the possibility of purchasing one as you will be asked to use such a program from now in until your school days are over (this includes ANY/ALL post secondary institutions you may be considering.
ReplyDeleteHope this helps.
BTW, I am arranging to be in Block B tmw to assit anyone who needs further support. I am also going to count on those who are further along to act as other support people.
this is really making me mad. I haven't been able to do to much with my brochure. i can't get my own pictures on. i just rebooted my computer from and internet crash. can we please have tuesday in the lab?? I know i could really benefit from that time.
ReplyDeletebtw if you guys are using publisher you might want to print preview it first before you print because sometimes if you have things that are on the edge, it wont show up when you print it. :D
ReplyDeleteNot sure about lab time, but I am sure you will have time somewhere!
ReplyDeleteHey yall :)
ReplyDeleteQUESTION !
you know that thingy Chi Yan used to make her video ?
what was it ?
can you download it ?
or does it come with the computer ?
like the imovie.
because im having really large issuses with making a video.
Kaitlyn, I think people used either sony vegas or windows video maker. Try these and see what happens.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/moviemaker2.mspx
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro