Thinking of all of you-

Hello All You Hum 9er’s!

The last official day of classes has come and gone and I already feel a void in my heart. I have had a great year teaching you and more importantly- learning from all of you. You all have taught me so much about yourselves as learners and what I can do as an educator, to better assist you in your learning journey.

We have learned a lot about specific information in social studies, and how to write and read better in English, yet for me, this year was also about understanding and honouring who we all are as learners and how to advocate for ourselves. In reflection, I know that each of you have come far in both your personal and educational journey and I thank each one of you for allowing me to come along with you.

When you return next year, please do come find me and say hello, as I will miss you and how lovely it will be to hear from you.

I wish you all a summer filled with joy, happiness and most of all FUN!. Hopefully you'll pick up a something to read along the way and when you do, I hope you will stop and think of all the reading strategies you have learned and put them to use. I also hope that you continue to advocate for yourself and most importantly- Believe in yourself; I know I believe in each and every one of you. You are all capable of greatness. Be the change you want to see in the world (Mahatma Gandhi).

My best to you-
Most sincerely,
Ms. Minuk

PS: Keep Humming Along,

eminuk@sd38.bc.ca



Monday, April 13, 2009

Homework Q & A Space

Thank you to those who spoke up thus far and suggested a having a place for questions/answers that relate specifically to homework. You have spoken and I have listened. Here is your Q & A space.
If you have questions that do not relate to homework, please post them in the Miscellaneous section of our BLOG (under March of the Blog Archive).

49 comments:

  1. Does the the brochure have to refer to a certain country that this type of child labour is happening in or can it just be a general Idea about how this form of CL is in many countries and talks about what happens to these children and so on...? (if that makes sense!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add this to my last post... But I was also wondering about the place on the brochure for contact info.. I wasn't sure if I should make up a website, phone #, email etc. or if I have to put real info on to it?? Oh and also the info should be brief and not paragraphs right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SORRY ONE MORE QUESTION!!!! Since I am not sure how to put a graph onto my brochure, am I able to hand draw it or does it have to be done on the computer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. General is fine, specific may have more impact-

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have two choices, you can make up the info or use a real organization that you know is involved in helping the cause. Brief is best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please use the computer for your graph. If you cannot figure it out, come prepared to get some help tmw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Instead of putting a graph...I wrote a small paragraph with statistical information. Is that okay too??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot to post this with my other question...Do we have to use Bibme or can we just type it out?? I find it easier to just type it out on a Word Document.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry again, but how do you find books that were in the MacNeill Library on Bibme if you were to use the Bibme site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caitlin, it is of course okay to write a paragraph; yet a graph is a very succintc and powerful way to say a lot without having to write a lot- you decide.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In answer to the question of writing versus using bibme.org for a bibliography, you may write it out, it is just that there are very specific rules to writing out a bibliography that one must use. Using bibme.org allows you to be very accurate. As you move up in the grades and you find the amount of work increases, it is nice to rely on such things as bibme.org. Not only is this a very helpful tool, it will save you a great deal of time.
    As you wish...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can use the isbn # tohelp you with inputting your information into bibme.org. Also you can try the title- Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi
    I am having a problem with putting my images on the brochure. Im wondering if I can draw some by hand.
    Would that be ok?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was just wondering...what was the ISBN# again?and where would I find it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't remember how to put my images on the bibliography,does anyone remember how to?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ms.Minuk, I figured out how to find the ISBN number and I got all my citations on my bibliography on bibme. I just have one problem...I don't know how to print it..would I copy and paste it to a word document or can i just print it right off of the bibme website and if so, where does it say that option??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ms.Minuk, I'm just confirming that all we need to hand-in tomorrow is our bibliography and our brochure right??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Alexa, My hope is that you can finish off tmw without doing any drawings by hand (this would be a last resort). Part of the assignment was to do all your work on the computer versus by hand. Let's talk in the morning and see how things go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Caitlin,
    OK... I am going to try and answer all your questions:
    For the record, the isbn # is on the back of the book in either the left or right corner, it looks like a tag with lines down it.
    When adding images to your bib. all we ask is that you ID your URL (web address).
    Your are right, all you need to turn in on THURSDAY, is the brochure and the bib.

    Let me know if you have other questions- See you tmw.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ms.Minuk, will you be there in class tomorrow to help us finish our brochures??? I need help printing my brochure because the librarian said they have no colour and I wasn't sure how to print it double sided.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Caitlin, I will be there in block D. If you are in block B, I am not in the building as I am doing a grade 7 transition meeting. You are welcome to come and visit us during block D, just let me know who your block D teacher is and I can right you a note-

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can you list some ideas on the blog for the art sort of part of the project??

    ReplyDelete
  23. i heard somewhere that we can do animoto instead of a brochure, am i right? can u tell me ASAP cuz i have to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ideas for your second performance task which asks you to show your understanding of Child Labour in a way that is not focused on writing (other than a poem which is fine, but shows a strength or passion area: some ideas are: Animoto, PowerPoint, iMovie, a drawing, skit, dance, photo montage, play, TV interview... Really the ideas are limitless- use you imagination! Hope this helps- MM

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey Henry, I am not sure where you heard such information- It is NOT TRUE. Everyone MUST turn in a brochure, the animoto is for your 2nd performance task and is only one option available to you. See previous comment.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wat u supose 2 put on bibme for the URL for images when i put em in it says link is invalide or w/e u spell it. So HELP MEH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Steven,
    You cannot use bibme.org for your images, you simply write up the URL (web address)and add it to your bib after you have exported it.

    If someone else can offer advice for Steven, pls do so!
    Thx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Steven, for my images...on the bibme site I put the URL in the place where you put the website and it popped up fine for me. I copied the URL for the images and pasted it where your supposed to put the website and it added it. Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. um...... So i have my brochure, but i cant print it because im using this brochure tempo program because i dont have officeword.This brochure program is trial mode so everytime i try to print it it will have a ad. on the bottom that says "MADE WITH TRIAL COPY OF SMARTDRAW" and its covering some of my words. It was said that i have to pay to print... so do i lose marks for this?? i can show u tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Henry, Not to worry,bring in your work on a flashdrive or email it to me and I will print it for you-

    MM

    ReplyDelete
  31. Is there a due date set yet for the "art part" of the project?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Megan, The date was mentioned last week a few times- it is a week today- Monday, April 27th.
    See you today, MM

    ReplyDelete
  33. Miss Minuk, for the Representing to Evoke or Persuade sheet, do we have to do the Key research supports the creation of my image and what kind of evidence did i use by tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great question- the answer is NO, because you will not be ready to do that until tomorrow.
    No worries :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. If you're having trouble opening a Word doc at home because, maybe you don't have Word, you can download OpenOffice, which is a free, open source app, and it will open Word docs and let you work on them and print them.

    Cheers

    GP

    ReplyDelete
  36. If you are interested in doing a collage or montage, you can do this digitally through scrapblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Do our brochures and our performance task have to be on the same topic?? Like, I did my brochure on soccer ball making and I just finished my PT and I just realized that I didn't do it on soccer ball making. I did it based on carpet factories. Is that okay??

    ReplyDelete
  38. The point of the second PT is to take all that you have learned and show your knowledge/perspective in a creative way... So yes it is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  39. i have a question
    if we are writing a poem do we still use the power of "I"?

    ReplyDelete
  40. ms minuk i did a project at home
    for hum and it is a music video and i tried sending it to myself but it didn't work, what should i do?

    ReplyDelete
  41. miss minuk,
    when we do our source for the representing to evoke or persuade sheet.... do we have to write bibliogprahy style or can we just write the url of the website?

    ReplyDelete
  42. The power of I is always improtant, yet it really does depend. Kelly use your best judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hmmm... Invite us all over to view it (LOL) Uhm, well if you cannot send it to your self, you may need to check what type of doc. it is and attempt to send it as a pdf or.... Not sure. Try again using a different format and see what happens.

    MM

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great question, I had nothing to do with that sheet so I think you need to email Mrs. Watson directly. Off the top of my head I think it is fine to add th URL and be done with it! I think bec, you are under such a time crunch, just do that and I will explain to MW.

    ReplyDelete
  45. thanks miss miunk

    ReplyDelete
  46. I wrote a poem using scrapblog. what do I do if i have trouble e-mailing it to myself???

    ReplyDelete
  47. ms. minuk do we have to write a bib for our project if we used pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  48. If you signed up for an acct., then you will be able to access it at school is what I am thinking.

    MM

    ReplyDelete
  49. For now you can use the URL- so the answer is yes it is a good habit to get into.

    MM

    ReplyDelete